Thursday, January 15, 2015

Miracles in the Making: Grant Recipient David Kling


We received this thank you letter with David's Story from him just before the Holidays...
Please send my deepest gratitude and thanks to your family and committee for accepting my story and blessing us with this generous gift.  My family and I are humbled by it and can't thank you all enough for helping us out during this time.  Below is a synopsis of my story thus far.

My story began on Friday, July 11th, 2014 when I received word from my doctor after a colonoscopy that the tumor they had discovered during the procedure had come back positive for colon cancer.  Needless to say my world was rocked!  The colonoscopy was not a routine procedure since I am only 34 years old.  It was scheduled after my primary care physician was unable to determine the cause of other symptoms I was experiencing, so he told me to get the colonoscopy.  

After finding out I had cancer, our next course of action was to seek a doctor and treatment.  We went a got our first opinion from a surgeon in Alexandria, VA and shortly after that we got a second opinion from a team of doctors in Philadelphia at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA).  After choosing to seek treatment at CTCA I started my radiation and chemotherapy within 2 weeks of our initial visit at CTCA (around the end of August).  I would go up to Philadelphia during the week for treatments and come home on the weekends.  I did this for 5 1/2 weeks.  

On September 25, 2014 I finished my treatments and was able to return home for about 8 weeks.  My colon resectioning surgery has been scheduled for Wednesday, November 26th.  We are praying everything goes as smoothly as it should and as the doctors anticipate it will.  After surgery and about a 5 day stay in the hospital I will return home and recover for about 1 month and then continue chemotherapy for approx. 5 months. 

I know this is just the beginning of this journey and it will be a part of my life for ever...but I know one thing is for sure...my heavenly father is in control and I have nothing to worry about or fear.  There is a greater purpose for me going through this and only God knows why.  As long as my story can bring glory to Him and bless someone in the process, I will gladly go through this journey.  As Proverbs 3:5-6 states, Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

David Kling

David, know that we are praying for you! Keep great faith!

1 comment:

  1. Oh:( my prayers are with you David.. One of my best friends was going through this pain of bowel cancer .. she was mentally disturbed.. she is going through the treatment process from past 9 months .. I think she is getting good treatment .. I am grateful to doctor Chris young : http://colorectal-surgeon.com.au/

    ReplyDelete